The Tombstone Epitaph, Editor, Tombstone, Ariz.
January 2016-May 2016
- Edited stories and managed reporters for the Tombstone Epitaph, which is produced by UA journalism students and covers Southeastern Arizona.
- Helped design pages and wrote headlines for the newspaper, which is distributed locally in Tombstone.
Arizona Daily Star, Apprentice reporter, Tucson, Ariz.
August 2015-May 2016
- Worked on the investigations desk for the spring semester. Covered city government on the downtown metro desk during the fall semester.
- Wrote two Sunday front page features on the city’s efforts to house its homeless veterans and the plight of music programs in local school districts.
Arizona Daily Wildcat, various positions, Tucson, Ariz.
October 2013-December 2015
- Worked in a range of roles at the campus newspaper of the University of Arizona, serving a community of 40,000 students.
- Investigations editor (Fall 2015): Managed a small team of investigative and features reporters to cover in-depth topics such as the effectiveness of the campus smoking ban and problems plaguing fraternities; edited content and wrote headlines for stories in print.
- Managing editor (Fall 2014): Worked with the editor-in-chief to help manage a newsroom staff of about 70 reporters, photographers, editors and designers; oversaw news coverage and coordinated layout for a 10-14 page daily newspaper.
- Editor-in-chief (Summer 2014): Managed a newsroom staff of about 45 people in producing the weekly, 16-page summer print edition of the Daily Wildcat; contributed to news stories and editorials.
- News editor (Spring 2014): Assigned, edited stories covering the UA campus for 11 reporters, producing daily front-page content for the newspaper; wrote headlines and trimmed content to fit the print edition.
- Reporter (Fall 2013): General assignment reporter covering issues around the UA campus, including breaking a story on a professor receiving a death threat for a lecture he gave.
Green Valley News & Sun, Editorial intern, Green Valley, Ariz.
June 2015-August 2015
- Reported stories and took photographs full-time for the Green Valley News and Sahuarita Sun newspapers, produced by the same newsroom staff.
- Covered a range of stories from town drone policies to anniversary stories with World War II veterans. Wrote an in-depth, investigative story on a troubled charter school in Sahuarita.
Arizona Sonora News Service, Don Bolles Fellow, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Selected for the prestigious fellowship given to one UA journalism student each year to cover the Arizona Legislature and state government at the state Capitol for the School of Journalism’s newswire.
- Tracked daily legislative action for a weekly column and wrote enterprise stories published in news outlets across the state; covered stories such as proposed school administrative cuts to the impact of drug testing for welfare benefits.
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz. — Bachelor of Arts in Journalism and Political Science, 3.76 GPA Graduation date: May 2016
- 2013-14 Arizona Daily Wildcat award for excellence in news writing
- 2014 Society of Professional Journalists national and regional Mark of Excellence award for breaking news reporting
- 2014-15 Alex Parker Award for superior reporting – UA Journalism School
- 2014-15 B.P. Campbell Award for Outstanding Junior – UA Journalism School